Street Lighting Programme


The Ministry of Public Utilities (MPU) is committed to the provision of a safe and reliable supply of electricity services to the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago. One key area is the provision of street lighting services which is aimed at providing greater illumination to roadways, highways and communities.


The programme started in 2005 and was expanded in 2007, to include the illumination of public places such as facilities under the jurisdiction of the Regional Health Authorities, Cemeteries and Police Stations.


Services offered by the Street Lighting Programme:


  • ·         Street lighting
  • ·         Illumination of Parks and Recreation Grounds
  • ·         Illumination of Public Spaces
  • ·         Illumination of the Grounds of Police Stations
  • ·         Illumination of Regional Health Authorities (RHA) Facilities




Communities and Community Facilities in need of Street lighting services.


Benefits of the Street Lighting Programme:


  • ·         Promotion of healthier lifestyle through night-time recreational activities
  • ·         Greater accessibility to recreational facilities at night
  • ·         Safer, well-lit communities
  • ·         Safer roadways and communities
  • ·         Enhanced community spirit
  • ·         Improved quality of life for citizens



How the Street Lighting Programme is administered and implemented:


The Street Lighting Programme is implemented by T&TEC through its Public Lighting Department. The programme is administered by the Sectoral Programmes and Projects Unit of the MPU and is funded under the Ministry’s Public Sector Investment Programme (PSIP).


How to apply for Street lighting:


Street lighting

  •   Requests for Streetlights within your area should be directed to your Regional Corporation. Where street lights are required for major roadways, a request should be sent to the Ministry of Works and Transport.

Illumination of Public Spaces, Parks & Recreation Grounds

  Requests for Illumination of Public Spaces, Parks and Recreation Grounds should be made in writing to the Ministry of Public Utilities. The requests may also be submitted through the following:

  • ·               Member of Parliament (MP)
  • ·         Local Government Councillor
  • ·         Municipal/Regional Corporation
  • ·         Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC)




Applications and questions should be directed to:



Ministry of Public Utilities

#1 Alexandra Street,

St. Clair.


Phone: 628-9500

Ext. 4301-4306 

Fax: 628-0105